New for 2018 Alice Composed by Rob Stein, Percussion by Nathan Langford Grade: 3 (out of 4)
Based on the classic story by Lewis Carroll, "Alice" takes us on a journey through the rabbit hole and back again in this exciting new show. This effective and achievable production provides ample opportunity for general effect and endless possibilities for visual expression, and also features professional voiceovers.
1. Down the Rabbit Hole The show begins, soft tremolo strings slowly creep in, creating tension and drawing in the audience from the first sounds they hear. Alto saxophone and trumpet soloists are featured (solo instruments can always be adjusted to feature your top performers.) A tempo change starts building excitement as we develop to a powerful first impact, after which Alice falls down the rabbit hole, and we begin our journey.
2. In Wonderland Alice walks through wonderland, simultaneously filled with awe, curiosity and fear. Seamless switching of major and minor tonalities, and engaging winds and percussion allow the audience and judges to travel with Alice as she discovers this strange new land.
3. Who Are You? Alice searches her heart in the struggle for self discovery. A beautiful, lyrical flugelhorn solo begins after a front ensemble introduction. The melody is then echoed in the winds, with the altos and mellophones offering counter melodies as we build an emotional impact.
4. Escaping Wonderland We segue into a faster tempo in 3/4 to start this movement, building tension with percussive rhythms in the winds and mallets. Brief features highlight various sections of the band, building to an intense impact that seamlessly transitions into the closing segment.
5. Returning Home Echoes of melodies from the opener return in a major tonality, bringing the show full circle for maximum general effect. As we build to a triumphant ending, Alice travels back through the rabbit hole, returning home with a new sense of self and beginning a new chapter in her life.